NO PURCHASE NECESSARY.
1. Eligibility: The Flotsam Photograph Contest (the "Contest") is open only to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States (including D.C.), who are at least eighteen (18) years old at the time of entry. All employees of Clarion Books and Houghton Mifflin Company (the "Sponsor") and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, sales representatives, distributors, manufacturers, licensees or agents, and their immediate family members and those living in the same household of each, are not eligible to participate in this Contest. All applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited.
2. Contest Period: The Contest begins on June 29, 2006, at Midnight Eastern Time ("ET") and ends on September 1, 2006, at Midnight ET (the "Contest Period"). Sponsor's computer is the official time-keeping device for the Contest.
3. How to Enter: During the Contest Period, visit http://www.thefishknowthesecret.com and follow the links and instructions to enter the Contest. Then follow the directions to receive a camera, fill in the log book, and mail the camera to the next recipient. All submissions become the exclusive property of Sponsor. Sponsor shall have the right to edit, adapt, and publish any or all of the photographs submitted, and may use them in any media without compensation to the contestant, his or her successors or assigns, or any other entity. SUBMISSION OF AN ENTRY IN THIS CONTEST CONSTITUTES ENTRANT'S IRREVOCABLE ASSIGNMENT, CONVEYANCE, AND TRANSFERENCE TO SPONSOR OF ALL RIGHT, TITLE, AND INTEREST IN THE ENTRY, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ALL COPYRIGHTS. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, illegible, misdirected, mis-logged, or postage-due submissions. In addition, by entering, contestants represent and warrant that the entries that they submit:
- Are their own original creations;
- Do not infringe on any other person's personal or proprietary rights; and
- Have not been submitted previously in a contest of any kind.
LIMIT: Each participant may submit three (3) photographs during the Contest Period. Multiple participants are not permitted to share the same retail address. Any attempt by any participant to obtain more than the stated number of entries by using multiple/different addresses, identities, registrations and logins, or any other methods will void that participant's entries and that participant may be disqualified.
4. Judging for Winner: Entries will be judged by David Wiesner on personal, subjective criteria including but not limied to originality, creativity, and theme. The decision of the judge shall be final. The winner will be notified by email, phone, or mail on or about September 4, 2006. The winner must comply with all contest rules as published. Acceptance of any prize shall constitute and signify the winner's agreement and consent that Sponsor may use the winner's name, bookstore address, likeness, and/or prize information for contextual purposes worldwide, including the internet, without limitation and without further payment or consideration, except where prohibited by law.
5. Prize: Prize is non-transferable and no substitution will be made except as provided herein at the Sponsor's sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute the prize for one of equal or greater value if the designated prize should become unavailable for any reason.
6. General Rules: By entering or participating in the Contest, participants agree to be bound by these Official Rules. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for electronic hardware, programming or software malfunctions or failures, or accessibility or availability of line connections, or technical failures of any kind, or unauthorized human intervention, or the incorrect or inaccurate capture of any entry or other information, or for the failure to capture any such information. Sponsor is not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrants, or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; (2) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Contest; (3) US Post Office errors; (4) damage to an entry during film processing; or (5) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries. If, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned by reason of USPS errors, damage to entries during film processing, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which, in the sole opinion of the Sponsor, may corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest, Sponsor reserves the right, at their sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest, and select the winner for the Contest, from the entries received prior to the action taken or in other such manner as deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor.
Participants, by participating in this Contest, hereby waive and release, and agree to hold harmless Sponsor, subsidiaries, affiliates, distributors, and all of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents, from and against, any and all rights, claims and causes of action whatsoever that they may have, or which may arise, against any of them for any liability for any matter, cause or thing whatsoever, including but not limited to any injury, loss, damage, whether direct, compensatory, incidental or consequential, to person, including death and property, arising in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from their acceptance, possession, use or misuse of the prize in the Contest, or their participation in the Contest, or their participation in any Contest or prize-related activity. Winner also further acknowledges that Sponsor, their affiliates, subsidiaries, employees, officers, directors, and promotions and advertising agencies have neither made, nor are in any manner responsible or liable for, any warranty, representation or guarantee, expressed or implied, in fact or in law relative to any prize or these Contest including but not limited to quality, condition or fitness for a particular purpose. Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved under the laws of the State of New York, U.S.A., without respect to any conflict of law issues, and entrant agrees that such shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the Federal and State Courts of New York, New York.
7. Entrant's Personal Information: Any personal information handled by an agency or vendor of Sponsor, will be done solely on their behalf and all such information shall be handled exclusively in conformance with Sponsor's privacy statement.
8. Rules/Winners List Request: To obtain these rules or for notification of the winner, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to: Flotsam c/o Clarion Books, 215 Park Avenue South, NY, NY 10003. Requests for winner lists must be postmarked by December 31, 2006.
9. Sponsor: Houghton Mifflin Company, 222 Berkeley Street, Boston, MA 02116. Fax: 617-351-1125.
Copyright © 2006 Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.